To get back to the home page, click on Kaitlyn's Korner above!

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Signs From Above

Kaitlyn's 3rd birthday was not only celebrated here at home, but all over the country! I am amazed and proud of the lives that she has touched and continues to touch. It truly is breathtaking.

Kaitlyn was born in Texas on a hot 104 degree day. Apparently she wanted to recreate the weather here in North Carolina! She was probably giggling in heaven. Hot doesn't even begin to describe it.

The Butterflies

After church on Sunday, we stopped by Kaitlyn's grave to wish her a happy birthday and spend some quiet time with her before the butterfly release. Later that day we released the butterflies- 5 monarchs and 25 painted ladies. A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone that came out and braved the heat! You all deserve an award. The butterflies also thought the heat was ridiculous!!! Some of them didn't even want to come out!

Untying the Butterfly Carriage









At first it seemed like a bust but then a few of the younger kids picked up the butterflies and were able to hold them and put them in the shade next to the trees. They were so excited to get so up close and personal with the butterflies that I think Kaitlyn would have preferred it that way. A really neat experience for them.

Checking out the butterflies that were moved to the shade



One of the beautiful monarchs

"Just like Kaitlyn, a butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam. And for a brief moment its glory and beauty belong to our world. But then it flies on again, and though we wish it could have stayed, we feel so lucky to have seen it."

Butterflies around her grave were made by Chip and Makayla










As I was chasing Cole around the cemetery, I spotted a 4-leaf clover! It popped out at me. I was literally in a "fast walk" to get Cole when I just happened to look down. It's crazy. Whenever I try to find them, I never do. Since Kaitlyn has passed away, I have found SO many! I have started a journal with all of the clovers I have found.

4-leaf clover... again!
The entire day was great. We had cake at home and I wasn't upset like I was a few days earlier. I really think that all of the prayers and remembering what a blessing that day is, made it okay.


After the afternoon in the heat, we went home to cool off. I later had to run an errand and got into the SUV. I was about 5 minutes from the house when I heard fluttering! I looked up and there was a painted lady butterfly fluttering in the car! I couldn't believe my eyes! The car had been sitting in the driveway in the 104+ degree heat for a few hours. Also, the butterfly either flew into the car or was stuck on one of us when we got in the car to leave the cemetery.

A Painted Lady hanging out in the back of the SUV
I was so amazed to see this butterfly and truly felt that it was a sign from Kaitlyn. I scooped the butterfly up in my hands and let it fly away. It was a wonderful experience that I will never forget. I feel that it was a little gift for me from my sweet girl.

Here are some other pictures from around the country of friends and family who honored and remembered Kaitlyn's birthday. So awesome. Here are just a few!

Richmond, VA

Fairfax, VA
Tyler, TX
Oklahoma City, OK
Oklahoma City, OK
Weatherford, TX
Weatherford, TX
Nampa, ID
Weatherford, TX
Kaitlyn's Grandaddy, Granddot, Uncle Chris and Kelley- Fuquay-Varina, NC
Glen Allen, VA
Detroit, MI
Wylder's house in AZ
Roanoke, TX

13 comments:

  1. What an amazing birthday party for kaitlyn, I know she had a grand time. Deanna you are an amazing woman, and i believe the buttterfly you found in the car was kaitlyn. She wanted you to know she was at her party and that it was the best party ever. My prayers are still with you're family. I believe god has blessed you all with all the wonderful things that have happened since kaitlyn went to her heavenly father,all of the 4 leaf clovers are amazing. May god continue to bless you all. From Jo Ann in Richmond, Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to celebrate Kaitlyn's birthday in Warsaw, Poland. She was a lovely child and I am glad you decided to share her story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly amazing! Kaitlyn was definitely there celebrating with you! Such an amazing impact she has made! You are all in my thoughts!

    Ali Reardon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so thankful that Kaitlyn and all of you chose me to be apart of your family!Those 4 little words, have never meant so much.It was a wonderful tribute in her honor.She is soaring high and shining all over God's world.Love to all, and Love you Kaitlyn! Kaitlyn's Wen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this day with us. I lite a candle and folded an origami butterfly in her memory. I may never meet you on Earth but I know I will meet your family above. A friend's little boy recently went to heaven due to his premature birth. They keep finding heart shaped signals from him. I am reminded of Hebrews 12:1a Seeing we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deanna, This journey has made you such a strong woman. I would have never guessed in college that this would be your path, but you're blazing a trail of hope for all those who are dealing with this disease. Please continue to work hard and reach out. You have so much to teach and so much love to give. Thank you for sharing this part of your life with all of us. Warmly, Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing! We decorated our mailbox here in Red Lion PA with a big pink bow, and had a moment of silence at 3PM for Kaitlyn. She always finds a special way to show you she is with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The story about the butterfly in your SUV is beautiful! Truly a sign from your sweet Kaitlyn! She is definitely looking down on you and your family! Such a beautiful ceremony for her on her birthday! Thank you so much for sharing! We look forward to hearing from you again!

    Love, The Bingham Family
    Keller, TX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teresa Wright HornerJuly 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM

    The butterflies were free, but chose to stay around. On the way over there, 91.9 played, "Amazing Grace/My Chains Are Gone." I thought that was appropriate for a butterfly release for Kaitlyn. I will continue to pray for Kaitlyn's sweet, strong family. You set such a strong example for how to live in faith.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deanna - Please know that you are still inspiring others as you learn to adjust to your "new normal". I noticed your picture of the 4-leaf clover you found and that you mentioned you have found several lately. In case you haven't noticed, please look again at the picture you posted of the newest clover. Don't you think it has a striking resemblence of a little green butterfly?? Call me crazy, but I believe God has allowed Kaitlyn to send you these little "butterfly" clovers to remind you that she's watching over you! You and your family continue to be in my prayers. Stay strong and keep finding those 4-leaf clovers!
    Lorrie Hatley
    New London, NC

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still praying for your family and thinking of you all each day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deanna and Chip-We continue to pray for you and your family. Your sweet girl continues to touch many lives and I thank the Lord that through your agonizing grief as parents you were willing to share that precious gift with the world. May God bless you richly this day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just saw we missed Kaitlyn's 3 rd birthday, I am so sad, we will have to think of something for her for a belated one. The butterflies were beautiful. It was so special that she sent you her love in the car with that last butterfly-that is so amazing. sending lots of love, Chelsea

    ReplyDelete