To get back to the home page, click on Kaitlyn's Korner above!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Our new life at home

We got home from the hospital last night. It is so good to be back home! Kaitlyn is doing well, still not 100% better but she isn't wheezing or coughing as much as she was at the hospital, which is a very good sign that this virus should be completely on its way out soon.

Napping comfortably at home!

Kaitlyn's room now looks even more medical than it did before but we are really glad to have the new equipment. We were able to get a hospital grade nasal aspirator, an air to oxygen converter, and a portable oxygen tank. We are still waiting for the pulse/ox but that should arrive soon.

Having this equipment is really a sigh of relief for us. We know that it will help Kaitlyn significantly when she is sick and also help us to keep her out of the hospital.

Right now we are doing breathing treatments with a nebulizer (which we already had from when Kaitlyn had RSV when she was younger), chest PT (which is where you pat on her chest and back where the lungs are with a soft rubber circle thing to loosen up the congestion), and suctioning her nose with the powered nasal aspirator. It seems to be making a big difference.

Don't be jealous of my Einstein hair.

Kaitlyn also decided that she was going to drink some bottle today! She hasn't drank from her bottle in over a week and a half since she got sick so this tells me that she's starting to get her appetite back and feel better. We are very lucky to have the G-tube otherwise she would have been severely dehydrated cause she wouldn't eat from her bottle at all. She never had to have an IV put in at the hospital since we could just give her the nutrients she needed through the tube. I was very thankful for the G-tube otherwise it would have been a completely different story.

Please don't get me sick!

We are also trying to keep Cole from getting sick, which is a BIG challenge! I can't tell you how many times I wash or sanitize my hands during the day and night. Everytime I go from Kaitlyn to Cole, I have to wash my hands. They have their own designated toys and since Kaitlyn has been coughing off and on, I don't want them next to each other at all. Luckily my mom is in town to help out while Chip is at work. I really can't wait for this virus to be completely gone, I am exhausted!

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness, cole in his bumbo is too cute!!! and every picture of kaitlyn I think how beautiful she is, her face is so angelic and then her hair...oh my the hair, any girl would be lucky to have those beautiful curly locks!

    ReplyDelete