To get back to the home page, click on Kaitlyn's Korner above!

Friday, December 14, 2012

On The Other Side

This past Tuesday, I had the opportunity to attend a candlelight vigil and prayer service for a teenage girl, Kayla Campbell (16), who goes to my church and went missing on Sunday. The event was held in front of the Campbells' home and was organized by a neighbor.

The beautiful Miss Kayla Campbell









As many of you know (cause you were there!), our neighborhood held 2 candlelight vigils in front of our house before Kaitlyn passed away.

Two sweeties in front of our home















On Tuesday, it was my turn to be on the other side. Being outside their home and surrounding them with love and prayers was an incredible feeling. It also reinforced how fortunate we were to have a loving community when we needed it.

In front of our home












Although the situations were/are different, I knew exactly what her parents were feeling inside their home as they looked out at neighbors, friends, and church members gathered in support for them.

"Everyday" Kayla









Being on the other side was obviously a little emotional for me, in both good and sorrowful ways. I was fortunate that I was able to talk with Kayla's parents that night and tell them about Kaitlyn and how our neighborhood did the same thing and that I know what it's like to look out that window and see those beautiful lights and yet at the same time, how surreal it is. I also told them about the first time I met Kayla, about a month ago, at church, and how the middle school girls (I volunteer with the MS youth at church) were so excited to see her that they literally tackled her to the ground!

Kayla "Made a Difference" just as Kaitlyn did. This was from a group of students that drew pictures for Kaitlyn.
If you have followed the story, you would know that sadly Kayla's body was found Thursday around 12:15am in a local pond that was drained after they found some of her personal belongings there. Further details have not been released yet, but she is with God and Jesus in Heaven now.












People ask ME "How were you able to get through everything with Kaitlyn?" "How are you okay?".

It's all in perspective.

I can't even begin to imagine what the Campbell family is going through. Yes, with Kaitlyn, it was heartbreaking and devastating to watch her deteriorate in front of my eyes every day. I am so thankful though that I was with her in her last moments, knowing what happened and didn't happen, etc. The Campbell family will forever have questions about those last moments of Kayla's life. My heart is shattered for them. It reinforces the fact that no matter how bad you think things are going on in your life; there is someone out there that is going through something even more difficult.

Please keep Kayla's family in your thoughts and prayers. For those of you who knew her or would like to do something in memory of her, her family has asked that donations be made to our church, Next Level Church.

Here is the most recent article from the Charlotte Observer on Kayla: Charlotte Observer- Kayla Campbell.

A prayer that I always go back to during trying times is: "Father, we believe that when we see you, any suffering that we endured on the face of this earth will be worth it. Help us to understand. And when we cannot understand, help us to trust." 
~ Max Lucado


5 comments:

  1. Sending Prayers, Love and Condolences to the family! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to get back to NLC. I miss it. Your article is beautiful on precious Kayla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Deanna. You are so good at seeing things in perspective and helping others to do the same. My heart breaks for this family; they are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live not far from this family just accross the county line. I don't know you or this family. I'm so sad for you both losing your girls. It's good you got to know Kayla and you were there for her family. God Bless You and Peace to both families.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending comforting thoughts to her family.

    ReplyDelete