To get back to the home page, click on Kaitlyn's Korner above!

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Changes

Thank you to everyone who donated and participated in the 11/11/11 Challenge to raise money for Niemann-Pick Disease research through the Niemann-Pick Disease Foundation. We are so grateful to have so many generous, caring friends and family out there and it really means the world to us! One day with your help, there will be a cure. THANK YOU!!!!!

Snuggled in her new blanket from Aunt Jess

Kaitlyn and her birthdate- so sweet!

Kaitlyn is doing a lot better than she was a few days ago. We aren't sure why (most likely all of your prayers!) but we sure are thankful! Since it seemed that her bowels/intestines were slowing down, we switched her from Pediasure to Elecare. Elecare is more broken down and easier to digest. So far she has been able to process it better. She has had a decrease in the number of wet diapers that she has each day so we are keeping an eye out for fluid retention.

This is what she thinks of how she's been feeling


Her heart rate hasn't been fluctuating as much the past few days. She's actually been able to sleep pretty well at night. During the day she is pretty lethargic but has a hard time taking good naps. Could be disease related or it could be "little brother" related! She went for a number of days with little to no seizure-like episodes, which we were told can also happen at the end of life but she's had a few off and on, these past few days. It's hard to figure out whether that's a good thing or a bad thing?!

Fun with Gigi!



One thing that is starting to bother her more is her saliva. As her disease progresses, she has lost her ability to swallow efficiently, which is why she has the G-tube for feeding. But she still has saliva in her mouth that gets built up and she's having a hard time controlling it so she coughs and chokes on it. We keep the suction machine close by and are using it a lot more frequently. She is also having a hard time sitting in her floor chair cause she is in a more upright position, causing her saliva to pool in the back of her mouth rather than on the side if she were laying on the floor. This is why if she were to get sick with a cold it would be really hard on her body to manage all the extra drainage. There is medication that we have used in the past called Robinul that helps decrease the saliva but it also can cause constipation and other issues. So right now the benefit doesn't out weigh the risk of making her other systems compromised.

Yes- he really IS this happy 99% of the time!

  
We know that this disease is very unpredictable so we are trying to take one day at a time and be thankful for each day that we have, and especially soak up the good ones! :-)



Thank you for all of the messages you all have left, either on the blog, through Facebook, or email. It really means so much to us to know that Kaitlyn has such great support and that she has touched so many of your lives. She is truly an angel from God sent to make us feel more in our hearts and learn what matters most. We are so lucky to be her parents.

7 comments:

  1. I have been waiting for a post! Thankfully she is doing better. Typically is the beginning of the end but what's most important is that she's comfortable and around family. We all know too well what lies ahead for those affected by NPD.
    I think about you all everyday! Cherish each moment no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad for a new post. Whenever I check my Google Reader and see a new Kaitlyn post there's always a catch in my heart. Continuing to pray for comfort for Kaitlyn and precious moments for you all.

    And can I just tell you in that second picture Kaitlyn's hair is so beautiful. It is what one would imagine the hair of an angel to be like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following your story and it has really touched my heart. I think of you often and pray for you and your family. Kaitlyn is truly a special girl who has touched the lives of others, even those of us who do not even know you personally. Wishing you the best now and always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaitlyn has certainly touched our lives. She is such a special angel, with great parents. We think of her and all of you often and keep you all in our prayers. We wish all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving.

    Love, Elaine & Paul Rocray

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deanna, I must tell you I also was anxiously awaiting your next post. Your life has touched me in more ways I could every imagine in teaching me patience, forgiveness and to appreciate what god has given me.I am guilty of the gifts I have received directly in front of me and am truly striving to enjoy every moment with my girls. Love and prayers I'm sure are being sent to you around the country, including RI. I can feel the love through your writings and I can only imagine the joy holding your baby for another blessed day. I'm always thinking of you and your beautiful family.

    Elissa Lombardo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deanna,
    Thank you for posting on Kaitlyns progress on her good days, & also for keeping us updated on even the not so good days, so we can all be praying for her.
    You are truly an amazing woman, Mom, & wife! Your husband the same. To be going through this difficult time knowing what the outcome will be, however you go through it with a beautiful smile on your faces knowing God will be getting a very special angel sometime in the near future. You have done such a remarkable job holding on to the LOVE that is ever so present in your hearts & home. You've done a fabulous job teaching Kaitlyn & Cole about God, Love, Family, Friends & <3My prayers go out to you & your family each night from Huntington beach CA. 1st thing I do is wake up to check on kaitlyns site to see & hope she had a great day & night. God Bless You All!
    By the way Faith Massey is an amazing Woman isn't she? She's one of my best friends & we grew up together in HB, CA. She's a rare gem of a special friend& her photography work she does for NILMDTS is incredibly inspiring. I lost my baby boy 5 months into my pregnancy & I didn't know about that organization then, so all I have are 3 polaroid photos of my sweet Jesse. But I treasure those just as well. Faith is a special woman & the beautiful pictures she took of your family will be treasured forever! Much love to you all. Hugs to Kaitlyn & Cole!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to see she is feeling good! She is so precious and I get so tickled to hear she is feeling good. You are all in my prayers always and as always, If I can do anything, please let me know. I also had people asking me about supplying meals, they would love to help in that way if you need it. Please just email me if that could even be of help :)
    Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete