To get back to the home page, click on Kaitlyn's Korner above!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Celebration of Kaitlyn's Life

Eulogy for Our Sweet Girl
Kaitlyn Kay Bourgeault
July 1st, 2009 - March 22nd, 2012

My Kaitlyn ring- her birthstone (ruby) with a butterfly in diamonds, I wear it on my right hand now and will forever.

Black = Deanna speaking
Blue =  Chip speaking
 
(Deanna)
The day that Kaitlyn was born was the happiest day of my life. She was truly an answer to prayer and a gift from God. I had no clue that my little 7 lb, 3 oz baby girl would go on to make such a significant impact on the hearts and lives of others.

Everywhere we went she got attention. Those big blue eyes, sweet dimpled smile, ringlets upon ringlets and giggles were all everyone could talk about when they met her.  

I believe that God created her perfectly, ringlets and all, for her purpose here on Earth- to get people’s attention!

Kaitlyn's dress was created and made from my wedding dress. The front lower half is the train from my dress.
(Chip)
Psalm 139:13-16
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be. 

(Deanna)
Kaitlyn loved having books read to her. We would read Peek-a-boo books, Dr. Seuss, Children’s bible stories and poems to Kaitlyn all the time. There are a few poems in this Bedtime Prayers book that I would read to Kaitlyn and talk with her about her purpose. Here are the ones that always stood out the most to us.

          (Chip)
          The Shepherd Chooses
          The Shepherd Plans
          The Shepherd Shines

(Deanna)
We could have stayed silent and not shared Kaitlyn’s life with anyone and continued to be depressed and angry, because I was for quite some time, and we could have continued to ask... Why?

Light pink roses and mini roses and butterflies, what could be more perfect than that?!

I don’t believe that God caused Kaitlyn to have Niemann-Pick Disease, but I do believe that he wanted us to trust in Him and turn our situation into something good- to glorify His name and bring others closer to Him. 


(Chip)
In the book of James, he says “Dear brothers and sisters, whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything.”

(Deanna)
When I started Kaitlyn’s Korner, it was right before Kaitlyn’s G-tube surgery and it was mainly to keep family and friends informed of how things were going. I had no clue it would become what it is now. By giving her a voice, she has changed more lives than I know. What I do know is that as of last night I had 812 unread emails- ALL about Kaitlyn I’m sure! We’d like to share just a few lines from some of the messages we have received over the past year that really show just how much she has made a difference.

(We read the following back and forth)

"Kaitlyn has had a profound impact on me not only with my direct family but how I  plan to carry out the rest of my life. In honor of Kaitlyn, I am going to be volunteering at my local children's hospital."

"I do believe in God, but never really have trusted in Him nor felt like he had a plan for me-or anyone until your story, You truly changed my outlook on life, God, my daughter, everything"


"Because of Kaitlyn, I strive to love on my two daughters more, and to TRULY cherish and dote on them."

"I promise to be a better mommy to my sweet angels. I promise to never take this life for granted, to hug them as often as I an and tell them how much I love them every, single day. You have helped me realize how precious life is and how important it is to love one another fully and completely."

"I had become bitter and resentful of a lot of things over the last several years. I didn't know how to accept things I couldn't change, I didn't like people, I started to despise my life, to include most people who had a part in it. Then, last week, the post about Kaitlyn. Why would I read it? Why would it move me to tears? Why did I write to you? I believe that God is speaking to me through Kaitlyn... talking to me and teaching me that there are FAR more important things. Letting me know what is and isn't important. Proving to me that what I thought were hard times and obstacles were really nothing at all."

"What I find remarkable is that I have opened dialogue over the last few days with God. Asking about Kailtyn, why these things happen, etc. So my comment earlier about her being my Guardian Angel and her saving me... well, that wasn't just talk. Your young daughter took an almost 40-year old grown man from being afraid to talk to God to being a chatterbox with the very same God!"

"I can only hope that I will make in 80 years the impact that Kaitlyn has made in her life."

"Kaitlyn has taught me more in these past months about life than anyone in 35 years."

"Your family's story and the example you have set through this blog have given me a whole new perspective for my daughter- one of living for each day, appreciating the moment, and leaving the "what ifs" at the feet of our Lord."

"I stumbled upon your blog by complete accident. I am 25 and from Scotland... the other side of the world. I believe I was meant to come across this blog for a reason. I've just undergone major surgery on my leg after a car accident that nearly took my life. I have been feeling down and depressed about it all & think I was mean to see this page to put things into perspective. I feel ashamed that I have been feeling hard done by and felt sorry for myself when your little girl shows such strength every day and you guys are beyond strong."

So glad we included the butterflies

"My life is literally changed for the better by your sweet, courageous, beautiful daughter. You see, before a friend posted your blog on Facebook, I wasn't sure if I believed in God. I wanted very much to believe, but I had trouble surrendering myself fully to the notion. Kaitlyn's story has strengthened and solidified my belief in God. I know in my heart that God sent her here to be His messenger that He is real.... I hope you'll whisper heartfelt thanks to Kaitlyn for changing my life, for making me a better mom and to my sweet son and for proving to me the presence of God in my life."
 
"I know you said she has only ever spoken four words but believe me she has spoken more -- She has said to me "wake up and be the person you want to be. Start now and don't wait. " She has challenged my to be a better person"

(Deanna)
To say that I am proud to be her mother is an understatement. I am honored and blessed beyond understanding to have been given such a wonderful daughter and opportunity to be a part of her life. An opportunity to show that although we endured the unimaginable, Kaitlyn was able to leave our world a better place than it was before. 

Through her blog, the world of technology, and our wonderful family and friends who have shared Kaitlyn’s story, she has reached people across the world- including countries like Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, Australia, Japan, Spain, Finland, and Saudi Arabia. 

How amazing is that?! One child, who spoke only 4 words, “Mama”, “Dada” and “All Done”) spoke into the hearts of thousands. THAT is a miracle and an example of how trusting in God and having faith during the most difficult of times can make a profound impact.

(Chip)
I think people have been so touched by Kaitlyn because she spoke in a language far greater than words, God’s language….love.  That love was like a beacon of light that drew anyone who saw it nearer and made them want to share it with others.   When I reflect on what the measure of a full life is, I think it is one that made a difference, served a purpose, touched others, and shared God’s love.  I would have wished her to stay longer, but I have no doubt that by my measure, God gave my sweet Kaitlyn one very full life.  

The flowers were perfect

(Deanna)
To Kaitlyn, my sweet girl, I will never forget you. You are my hero and inspiration. You have changed my life forever. In second Corinthians, it says, “God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.” I promise to continue to share your life and comfort other families during difficult times. Kaitlyn, I am so proud of you and all that you were, all that you are now and all that you have done.  You will forever be my sweet girl. I love you.

(Chip)
To Kaitlyn, here is a poem I wrote for you:
My beautiful girl you were so perfect and right
Bright blue eyes, curly locks, and big bows…. oh you were always a sight
Your time was too short, but you fought a tough fight
As your Daddy I’m thankful and proud to have been so blessed
I will always hold dear the memories and the feel of you against my chest
You touched the world with a your spirit shining bright
What an example you were of His amazing light
I wish you could stay, I want you to know
But with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes I let you go
In heaven, the pain and suffering no longer have their strangle
There now with God, you’ll be daddy’s angel.
I love you Kaitlyn.
   

60 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your sweet girl with us all. She was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again thank you for your honest, open writings. I wish I could have been a part of this wonderful farewell in person, but this is the next best thing. I wish you nothing but love and peace on your journey to find a new normal. God bless!

    -NJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was beautiful ..thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chip and Deanna, this is without a doubt the greatest thing I have ever read. Well done! Kaitlyn is lucky to have you, and you her. You two are wonderful, and I have the utmost admiration and respect for you. God bless you and yours, thank you. Kaitlyn, my dear...thank YOU, Sweetie! Love you, and I will never forget you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this sweet Angel! My heart, thoughts and prayers will be with you always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing this. It is absolutely beautiful! I have been thinking about your family everyday. I miss Kaitlyn and I never even met her so I can't imagine what life has been like for you. Your family will remain in my prayers. Your Kaitlyn ring is gorgeous and just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was absolute beautiful. Your love for your daughter and for the Lord is just unbelieveable. I have prayed for your family and I hope that you find comfort in knowing how Kaitlyn changed so many lives. She was a beautiful angel sent from God.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tears tears, what a sweet heart she is and will always be in your hearts. What a precious girl. I will always remember you all and your curly hair sweet little girl. Just from pictures and words on a blog I am in love with her. Bless you all in just love from God above and your life with each other. Aloha, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once again im so moved by your faith and determination.You and Chip are such an inspiration to me as a mother. I never met Kaitlyn,but she has changed my life forever.As a mother of a 2 yo my heart aches for you today,I pray daily for your peace,strenght,and courage to keep going on because of Kaitlyn. God is still continuing to work through Kaitlyn in my life,God bless you for sharing her life with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply beautiful! I am honored to share in this ~ you both are so inspiring to me! RIP beautiful angel
    Michelle Schaffer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Thanks for sharing it, I feel better now. But really wish I could have been there. Yes she has touched my life. I thought it was weird too that I feel the same way. Why and how did this little girl touch our lives in such a way still amazing me. I am not done and I will do what I can to spread the word of NP, it may be small but I will do my part for Kaitlyn. Truly and I mean truly amazing how Kaitly touched so many lives but so has Deanna and Chip. She was very lucky to have them as parents and I wish I could be half the parent they are. God bless your family and I love you Kaitly!!

    Penny
    VA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, simply perfect. The flowers, the words and of course Kaitlyn.

    Thank you again for sharing your story with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanx for taking the time to share this just reading it bought tears to my eyes my prayers are with your family RIP beautiful angel

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful. Thank you for sharing your words, your story, your hearts with all of us. How incredibly generous of you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Friends,
    Thank you for sharing.Thank you for welcoming me.I thank God for all of you and Kaitlyn. God through her has taught me so much!She is the bright star in the sky,brighter to me than any light house, and speaks to me every day somehow. May God bless you and hold you in the palm of his hand, and under his wing.Sending love and hugs!Shine Babay Girl and soar high! Kaitlyn's Wen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing Kaitlyn's story. She was an amazing little girl w/an amazing family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Once again, thank you for sharing your precious baby girl with us! I feel so honored and privileged to have felt a part of your life and to have shared your story. I have always believed in God, but after reading Kaitlyn's story for the first time my faith changed. I felt more compelled to pray and share her story like never before. My husband and I together shared many tears over Kaitlyn's life and your amazing faith. Her life and love was so pure and like you said God's love shone through her! I will continue to pray for you and lift you up. I know God will continue to bless you and do great things through your family!
    Much love,
    Emily J.
    (Harrisburg, NC)

    ReplyDelete
  18. For starts i want to thank you so much for sharing kaitlyn's story with me. I want to thank you for sharing this eulogy with me. I just loved the poem chip wrote to kaitlyn it brought tears to my eyes. I don't think you could have picked out better flowers for her pink roses with a butterfly were beautiful. I an sure she was beautiful in the dress yall made for her to wear,think of this she got to wear you're wedding dress.I hope every time you look at the ring you think of her. My heart has felt sadness for you and you're family,but i wouldn't change a thing about ready you're story and kaitlyn's. I think of you when i snuggle with my grandson.From seeing some of the pictures you and chip loved snuggling with kaitlyn. God gave you and chip the most wonderful gift anyone could get.A carrier of his words to be spread to others she did her job well. I know she is now looking down on you,chip,and cole with great happiness. I know she doesn't want you to be sad. I hope you continue to blog stories of your family on the rest of you're great journey. All we need to do is trust in god, he makes all things good.l God bless you're family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much! Words can't even describe how beautiful and moving this is. You two are absolutely amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chip and Deanna,
    Once again you amaze me at your generosity of spirit. As a stranger to you but a faithful reader of this blog, I wanted nothing more than to attend Kaitlyn's memorial. Unfortunately, distance prevented me from doing so. But I should have known you would find a way to make others a part of the service. It is so moving to me to see that you included comments and emails you've received about Kaitlyn in your eulogy of her. And to find that one of the comments you included was mine actually took my breath away and brought me to tears. I simply don't have the words to thank you for making me -- a stranger whom you will probably never meet -- a part of the service. Kaitlyn has meant so much to me, and I will be forever grateful to you for making me a very small part of her service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe one of my comments made the eulogy as well ~ I feel honored just like you to bare witness to God's work, through a precious young girl ~ Ill be forever touched by her story, and by the strength this family has shown! ( Michelle S )

      Delete
  21. It is so true how much your sweet Kaitlyn changed lives!! She taught us all to be stronger, better parents, and closer to God. She had such a bright light around her and it showed through this blog. You two are amazing parents and I strive to be more like you. Thank you for sharing Kaitlyn and her story. She will never be forgotten!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. May God's light in Kaitlyn continue to shine here on Earth! What an amazing little girl of an ever amazing family. Thank you for sharing her story as I will be forever grateful for her showing me what is most important in life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you on SO many levels. My heart has never been so touched by someone I have never met. Every time I hug and kiss my babies I will be thinking of her and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you Kaitlyn for giving me new perspective. May I only be half as strong as you. You have touched and helped so many. I am forever and eternally grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for sharing Kaitlyn with us. I often wondered when reading your blog how you had the strength to breathe each day, let alone to share her inspirational tale. I learned of your angel from a friend on facebook. I read your blog at work, where I often feel lost and lonely. Kaitlyn brought me so much comfort. She was my friend, even if she never knew it. I turned to her to be renewed in my faith. She was so strong and your words were so faithful, it always reminded me of a greater purpose in life. Thank you so much for all you have shared with us. I will truly miss reading about your sweet girl. And I will miss her precious pictures and your beautiful words. I pray that you find peace in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  26. just in the short time that she was on this earth. she touched more lives than most adults will in a life time. she was a remarkable little girl. god bless your family an may god but his hand on your families shoulder an give you the strength to find peace with in.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much for sharing your precious daughter with us. She is truly inspiring and has touched my heart in ways I thought no one ever could. She is a breath of fresh air, and a wonderful reminder of how great God truly is.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for sharing. This is absolutely beautiful. I pray for you all to find peace in this most difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful words for your beautiful girl. Her pictures takes my breath away every time I open this site- she is so stunning. I hope you will continue to blog from time to time to let us know how you guys are doing; you are both such eloquent writers and you have such a beautiful family. Praying for peace and comfort for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kaitlyn's story has changed my life in ways that I can not express. I am better for having known her story, a better Mommy, a better wife, teacher, and person. As her parents, your faith and grace have amazed me and moved me to tears. I miss the beautiful pictures and words of her life greatly, but she finds her way into my thoughts daily. Kaitlyn is the most inspiring person I have ever "known". I believe that God sees his people struggling to be good, and that he has given us all Kaitlyn as a reminder of his plan for us. Thank you so much for sharing the story of this amazing little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW! What a beautifully written post. Kaitlyn has touched lives in many ways all around the world. I thank you for giving her a voice while she was with us but now she sings with the angels. I pray for strength and peace for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What an amazing family. Amazing faith. Amazing openness. Amazing is an understatement. I am in awe. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for sharing your Angel, God certainly does bless. Sometimes in ways we don't quite understand or are not able to explain, but he is still a wonderful, wonderful God.

    Thanks for being a blessing and letting God use you to show us all his love.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Amen and Amen.

    Thank You, Father God, for giving us all Kaitlyn, for sharing Your perfect love through a tiny, sweet angel and her blessed family.

    Deanna, Chip and Cole...words cannot express how grateful I am to have been able to follow your story and to lift you up in prayer, all the while your little girl was ministering to my own heart and bolstering my own faith. Please know that you are on my mind, in my heart, and in my prayers. Thank you so much for sharing that beautiful eulogy. You continue to bless me out!

    Much love, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  35. Chip and Deanna,
    You are simply AMAZING. Thank you, thank you for sharing this with us. The service looks and sounds like it was just breathtaking and a perfect way to pay tribute to your little Kaitlyn.

    Deanna,
    The fact that she is wearing your dress is just so special. You could not have picked out anything more perfect! The flowers were gorgeous as well.

    Please continue to post so that we all know how you and your sweet family are doing.

    Prayers and Love!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you so much for sharing this. You have been such an inspiration to me! Everything I see a butterfly, I will think of beautiful little Kaitlyn. I love her so much! She was so lucky to have such wonderful parents who shared her with the world. We lite a candle and said a prayer for her while you had the memorial service. I will never forget her or your family.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Chip and Deanna , job well done on the service. Every last detail you have shared was nothing but amazing. You guys are such amazing people. Still in my prayers, always. How beautiful, the wedding dress, ur words, the flowers and butterfly.... Perfect for the perfect little angel! I also would love you to continue sharing. You guys are great parents! Much love, - Jeanette NH

    ReplyDelete
  38. Truly amazing and beautiful!! Kaitlyn absolutely has touched so many lives and made such an impact in her short time here. I know that I am forever changed in how I view life and what is important. Thank you so much for sharing her life and journey.

    Ali Reardon

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for a prefect service i was touch by you and your lovely wife you two were so strong anf your faith truely was amazing Kaitlyn looked so beautiful in your wedding dress the flowers were beautiful thank you so much for sharing her life journey with us .you both are prefect parents .may gods love shine on you and your family love you guys MR AND MRS ELVIN FLORES .KEEP INTOUCH WITH US .

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you for sharing your story and Kaitlyn's. Reading this I feel sorrow and joy at the same moment, because you gave your sweet girl a voice who touched so many. I'm truly sorry for your loss and joyous over how many people she helped find their way to our Lord. We know God works in many ways, sometimes we cannot always understand, but we can understand Kaitlyn's place in God's plan.

    ReplyDelete
  41. That was beautiful! Thank you for sharing your beautiful angel's story. May God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  42. So beautiful, you are an amazing family. Thanks so much for sharing your story, I almost feel like I know you! I wish you continued strength and a lifetime of happiness...you deserve it! Hugs to you all...

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a tribute and it was so fitting for your little girl. You make me hug my kids tighter, and thank GOD for every single moment I have on this earth with them. I have such respect for you and Chip and please know that as Kaitlyn has touched the lives of every person who has come to this blog, you have to. You are an inspiration to parents like me who sometimes get caught up in the day-to-day and forget every blessing we have been given. You have experienced a parent's worst nightmare and turned it into something every one of us can learn from and carry with us. I am honored to "know" you and Kaitlyn, you will always be in my thoughts and prayers, forever. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have nothing else to say except your family is truly amazing. I am a Wingate alum ('99) and unfortunately never had the amazing opportunity to meet you guys. You guys have simply opened my eyes as well as thousands of eyes to what life exactly is and who God is. I am simply speechless. All I have to say is THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Beautiful words said to remember a beautiful life. Thank you for sharing. Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  46. Words could never express my gratitude that you and Chip had the courage to be Kaitlyn's voice. Your beautiful family and precious Katilyn have truly changed my life. You will forever be in my prayers. Everything that you did was a celebration of her life!God sent that beautiful angel to you because YOU were also angels here on earth. Prayers always. Christy NJ

    ReplyDelete
  47. The pictures of Kaitlyn resting while in your care are forever etched in my brain. She looked so much at peace. I smile through tears remembering her, and I will never forget the wonderful family that you are. Your eulogy once again shows that God only placed her with the best. Cole is so fortunate to have you as his mommy and daddy. Forever in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I will for ever be touched for you and your husband sharing the life of your little Angel with the world. You two are very special. God knew when he sent that little girl to you two. You did not know what was in the future,but God did. Keep working for God and may many souls be won. You are in our thoughts and prayers. God Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Amazed by you, your daughter, everything...thank you and my thoughts are always with you.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Kaitlyn and your family will forever be in my heart! thank you so much for sharing your journey with us! Kaitlyn story has made me think More about Life!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I read this the other day. Thank you for sharing it. I feel really blessed to have found Kaitlyn's blog and to have been touched by her sweet life.

    ReplyDelete
  52. You two are such amazing parents. I am a parent as well and cannot even fathom the strength the two of you have. You all have been in my thoughts the last year or so, and have helped me become a better parent to my son. I thank you. Cole is a lucky little guy to have such wonderful parents, and a courageous big sister to look up to. God Bless...and my thoughts are still with you.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thank you so much for sharing this with us...it is all so beautiful! I kept your family in my prayers Sunday and Monday. Kaitlyn's life touched my heart in such a special way. I will continue to pray for your family...may you find peace knowing she is with our Loving Father. Nancy Lewis...Concord NC

    ReplyDelete
  54. Once again, you and your family have shown commitment, determination, faith, and love. It is a blessing to be able to know of Kaitlyn, and the impact she had on all of our lives. May you find peace in knowing she is with our Heavenly Father. God Bless, and our hearts adore your family.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Beautiful and perfect words for a beautiful and perfect little girl. Thank you for sharing this with us. Continuing to pray for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  56. My prayers are with you and your family as you grieve the loss of your sweet little daughter. I have been following your blog through a friend's post and am so moved my all of it. She was such a beautiful little angel. Keep strong in your faith and know that she is with Jesus in his beautiful kingdom of Heaven - she can do whatever she wants up there and feels no pain. She will also always be with you. Thank you for sharing your inspiration with everyone.

    ReplyDelete